It's a Lifestyle!


Hey, it's Katie Ann! This is my first experience with a blog but thought I would see how this works to not only keep a sort of workout and nutrition diary for myself, but to also use it to share information and tips that work for me with my friends!

I'm a Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant and no matter how long it takes, I will continue to pursue my degree, most likely in Dietetics and Nutritional Management. In the meantime, I'm currently studying for my Personal Trainer Certification which I should complete in the next couple of months and will be all too happy to spend my workdays in the gym. Nutrition and exercise are definitely my passion and main interests, so that's why I decided to make them my career pursuit as well! I have several areas of focus that I'm interested in! Since so many of my friends are having babies, I'm very interested in Pre- and Post Natal fitness and nutrition but also do alot of reading about and have great interest in sports performance training and youth fitness. I want to learn it all!! I also LOVE group fitness classes such as pilates, kickboxing, and spinning and hope to be teaching some of those soon as well!

I'm sort of obsessive compulsive about keeping track of my workouts and diet. I have a spiral-bound diary that I write my workouts and meals in everyday. I love to challenge myself and try new workouts and the diary helps me keep track of my results. I buy lots of fitness and nutrition books and magazines and have tons of articles and recipes cut out or flagged. The idea to do this blog came from so many of my friends that have called, texted, or e-mailed me asking for advice and tips with their workouts and diets... I figured this would be a great way to share more of the info that I read and find with my friends. I have lots of ideas so there will be much more to come...stay tuned! :)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Learn to Read Labels - Sodium


In order to eat healthy, everyone should learn to read food labels and educate yourself on the different nutritional values that you should try to meet or avoid exceeding each day. One of the biggies that I try to watch is sodium (Salt or Sodium Chloride). Most people will look at a food label and automatically check the Fat, Calories, or Carb content. But, if you’re not checking sodium content, you may not be eating as healthy as you think. Sodium helps maintain the balance of fluids, transmits nerve impulses, and influences the contraction and relaxation of muscles in your body. So, although sodium is an essential nutrient, your body only needs a very small amount of it. However, unless you’re actively keeping a watch on your sodium intake, most people unknowingly and easily take in over 3-4 times the amount of sodium needed each day. Too much sodium can not only contribute to excess water retention, but can also be harmful to your health since it can lead to increased blood pressure… a high risk factor for heart disease and strokes.

The American Heart Association’s recommended daily intake for sodium is to try to stay below 1,500 mg as an effective way to lower or prevent high blood pressure. If you are dieting to lose weight, this can be a huge challenge if you buy the “low calorie” prepackaged foods. Many of these are absolutely LOADED with sodium as well as many diet sodas…watch the labels! Although one of the main culprits of excessive sodium content is prepackaged and processed foods, keep in mind there are also many natural sources of sodium that contribute to your overall daily intake such as some vegetables, including celery, and many dairy products including milk. Also, consider how much you’re adding when you shake the salt shaker when you sit down at a meal.. and then even more when you start adding condiments. For example, one tablespoon of soy sauce contains about 1,000 mg of sodium! Even bread… one slice of white bread contains about 220 mg of sodium. Now add another slice, then some cold cuts (which are usually very high in sodium by themselves)…. Yes, it starts to add up fast!

When you shop, look for low sodium versions of everything! Eliminate or cut back on your shakes of the salt shaker..when you prepare a recipe, try using half of what it calls for in salt. If you use canned vegetables or beans in a recipe, rinsing them well first can get rid of half of the salt content. Avoid salty snacks and as always, drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits instead. Even though some of these naturally contain some sodium, it is minimal amounts compared to most prepackaged foods. Any reduction in the amount of sodium you take in will be healthier for you, and avoiding it will help you include healthier low-calorie foods in your daily eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment